Sunday, September 25, 2016

As I: Five Question for America

As I: Five Questions for America


A Disconnected Connection as I stare at the screen
Sisters scream for the blood of my brothers
Proclaiming innocence, demanding Justice.
--But will it come?
As I scroll through my newsfeed horrid images corrupt my vision
Desensitized and dismayed
Another Black man at the hands of the law slain.
--What did he do?
Eyes stinging, heart heavy, as I stir in painful rage.
Disregarding age the scream of death snatched his Dreams.
He was only a child Playing, Reading, Driving, Breathing, Living.
--Was that a crime?
As I wait for my community restless in the streets,
Our signs and chants speak words lost in crimson puddles.
It’s here we sing our song for the world to see, raw yet muffled.
--How do we heal?
Inescapable fear as I face my kin.
My Black Men: Brothers, Nephews, Uncles and Cousins.
The illusive idea of safety drowned in their eyes, it’s distant.
Will he be next?

--S.H

No comments:

Post a Comment